Saturday 1 March 2008

you must be kidding!

i am fast approaching sixty...
with some apprehension i might add...
after all, i have decided to celebrate this milestone by having my ear pierced AND indulging in a tattoo.
wild and wicked stuff for a small town girl!

this year past, i have been surveying my skin, wondering...
which part of me is least likely to wrinkle...
well...less than the devastation which has already occurred.

my face ...
not much to be done about that!
that gentle quote "you are born with the face god gives you.
you die with the face you deserve."
so...
my face tells a tale of too much sun and too many cigarettes. years of laughter and smiling and perhaps a little scowling!
i'm not complaining, i'm fond of my face...things could be worse.

the rest of me, at least the sun exposed portions were worthy of some attention...
perhaps they could be saved, or at least encouraged to resist the ravages of time.

and so it came to be, eryll, the unadorned, suddenly took to haunting the supermarket aisles. searching for the answer to an eternally youthful skin.
i found a lotion, claiming to be age defying, it smelled good, it did not leave my skin feeling sticky or oily (a definite no no!), it fell within a price range i could almost afford.
thus it began...
the daily ritual.

there i was, massaging the miracle cream onto my arms when i found it...
on my right elbow...
a big, soft lump...hmmmm
i took myself off to the doctor, the young fellow who has a rather weird sense of humour.

bursitis... what!
not possible...
gardeners, painters, floor washers. people who play sport, folks who work...
these are the people who end up with bursitis.
couch potatoes like me...
no way!
although... holding up a hardcover book and reaching for the tv remote may be classed as repetitive exercise?

i really don't care to spend the rest of my allotted with a lumpy elbow.
somehow does not seem to fit in with my self image!
the doc assures me it will sort itself out in a month or two. evidently i am to be congratulated as it is not infected and is therefore painless.

ain't life in'erestin'...

2 comments:

Me. Here. Right now. said...

Read Nora Ephron's, "I Feel Bad About My Neck." I think you'll laugh and appreciate.

Margo Moon said...

Tease.

What about the tattoo?