Sunday 9 March 2008

the girl in pink pyjamas



i'm a girl without doubt
or i was, maybe now
i'm a woman
i liked boys and their toys
tea parties and dolls
ribbons and bows were for others
not me, i liked horses and hats
my ma said
you look pretty in dresses
you can't ride a horse
or play war games in dresses
i was always ...
just me
they smiled when i met him
they adored him
the man who would make a woman
out of me
he took my hand and smiled into my eyes
he held me close
he loved my jeans and shared his shirts
with me, we grew a family
and laughed and loved
sometimes, i even wore a skirt
my favourite colour changed
from blue to purple,lilac,pink
sweet dreams are not always meant to last
my life became an accidental avalanche
swept helpless into the place
of more alone
to stay awhile in sadness
then venture out wide eyed
an adult me, unbalanced and unknowing
to fall in love again
to dive and swim in love's lagoon
find passion in the arms of her
and find myself anew
unchanged, just me
a girl in pink pyjamas


All materials Copyright © 2004-2008 by Eryll Oellermann

2 comments:

Margo Moon said...

Ah, lucky we are who carve a winding path instead of the straight (no pun) and narrow.

Rose said...

I just read your poem....I was in my pink jammies...the poem was my life too.